1. I was born a little early than planned on the First of April. My father didn’t come visit from his posting in the North East of India because he thought the telegram was a joke. And then he did.
I miss telegrams, they are dying a slow death. Which is okay because emails are just as urgent and quick and so are phones.
2. I have 2 nostrils and no sense of smell. It’s a condition called anosmia. It makes it sound big, but it’s just that – no sense of smell. Some people are petitioning it to be a qualified disability. I think they are idiots. A lot of people ask me if I can taste. I can. What you perceive when you eat things is a combination of taste and smell. They call this flavour. My sense of flavour is the same as my sense of taste, is all. Also, Durians are never a problem.
3. I don’t understand the stock market. I don’t. I cannot for the life of me distinguish between these three: stocks and shares and debentures. I secretly hate all people who created these things a little.
4. I had published 4 books before I left college. Now I rarely update my blog.
5. I was homeschooled till I was 5. This wasn’t because my parents were rabid Left wingers, but because the Army encampment where we lived had no schools.
6. My near obsession with comic books has led me to be a huge huge fan of serialized fiction. Comics and TV shows is what I devour on a daily basis.
7. I can play Bass. I hate that about myself. I have no musical talent.
8. Whenever I think of an apocalyptic future in my head, my first thought is – “desolate wastelands, no electricity. How will I play video games?”
9. I have an opinion about almost everything. That makes me very argumentative. However, I know when to say “I don’t know”.
10. I think the fact that Slumdog Millionaire has not utterly destroyed Bollywood is a shame unto us.
11. I have never finished a Bethesda game ever.
12. I will read anything anyone recommends. It’s a huge fault of mine – I have read trashy elves and orcs type fantasy in the past few weeks(including one with a shaman James Bond) just because someone said it was good. Not that I see that as a reason to stop. In fact I love reading so much, I love to watch movies with subtitles.
13. I used to play Tennis for some time, and was good at it. Now I own a Wii.
14. I think moist Japanese girls standing in front of you hardly qualifies as horror.
15. No one has played my favorite games. Almost no one.
16. I always entertain fantasies of being a travel writer for about 2 weeks every year.
17. I used to scared of Bombay. (and I don’t call it Mumbai because if the politicians had any sense of nationalism they’d have renamed it right after the British left) Not so much now, but I do think it has the smallest “Main Roads” in the world. That’s because it does. One day I hope for the city and me to come to an understanding.
18. I have no idea how, but I always thought working for an F1 team would be rad. I still think so.
19. As a kid I always wanted to be a Railway Engine driver. None of your diesel or electric fancy things for me either, thank you. A proper Steam Engine Locomotive like the Robert Stephenson 4-2-0 John Bull Stevens.
20. Corn flakes are my favorite breakfast, followed by bagels. Come to think of it, there are very few foods I like better than corn flakes.
21. I sometimes can’t understand how I can survive not knowing any ONE language properly.
22. I have my paranoid moments. I sometimes believe with all my conviction that my thoughts are somehow being broadcast live to some laughing people in a room, who proceed to manipulate my life.
23. I panic easy, but I am also resilient. I am afraid of falling down, but getting up after I do is usually not a problem. Everyone has a secret weapon that makes them carry on in life. Mine is plain stupidity, or naivete I suppose. But it works.
24. I miss friends and family in a city where I don’t have too many of either, but I love the city for it’s character and beauty, and I want to gather my own group here again.
25. As fools do, I have loved often and without sapience, which has led to many moments of embarrassment. The biggest love ended in the biggest embarrassment of all – me sitting on a mare wearing a crown of silver, gold and flowers.